Sales Voucher is used to record the Sales transactions of the company. You can pass an entry using the Voucher mode or the Invoice mode where the calculations can be automated and the transactions can be fed into the system easily.
Creating a Sales Entry
When a company sells goods on credit or cash, Sales voucher is used to record all the Sales transactions of the company.
To pass a Sales Voucher:
Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounting Vouchers
· Click on F8:Sales on the Button Bar or press F8.
For example, if you are selling goods to Debtor A for a value of Rs. 10000/-
a) Debit Customer’s Accountb) Credit Sales Account
Creating a Sales Invoice
When a sales transaction is made, a document detailing the transaction (item name, tax, etc) has to be given to the buyer or debtor as proof of purchase by him. This document is called Invoice or Bill or Cash Memo. Tally.ERP 9 provides the option of creating Invoices.
Invoice mode is of two types. It may be:
1. An Account Invoice
2. An Item Invoice
Sales Account Invoice is generally used by professionals such as doctors and consultants who require to issue an invoice for certain services provided such as consultancy charges, professional fees, etc.
Trading and manufacturing organizations also use the Account Invoice for invoicing service charges.
On the Sales entry screen, click on Acct Invoice button, which is displayed on the Button Bar on the right-hand side of the screen to display the Sales Account Invoice screen as shown.
Pass a Sales Account Invoice for Service provided to Debtor B:
Tally.ERP's Account Invoice mode displays the list of ledger accounts, which can be invoiced as required. This is unlike Item Invoice where Tally.ERP 9 displays the list of stock items.
Invoicing is generally used for sale of stock where the details of the items sold are listed. Selecting the Item Invoice allows you to select the stock items that need to be invoiced. Trading and manufacturing organizations commonly use this format.
On the Sales invoice screen, click on the button Item Invoice, which is displayed on the Button Bar on the right side of the screen and the Sales Item Invoice appears as shown below:
Pass a Sales Invoice against sale of Item A – 50 Nos. @ Rs. 15/= per quantity to Debtor C:
Tally.ERP's Item Invoice mode displays the list of stock items, which can be invoiced as required.
Special Keys for Voucher Narration Field
· ALT+R: Recalls the Last narration saved for the first ledger in the voucher, irrespective of the voucher type.
· CTRL+R: Recalls the Last narration saved for a specific voucher type, irrespective of the ledger.
Configuring a Invoice
Before creating the Invoice, you can set your Invoice Configurations from F12 configure:
Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounting Vouchers > F8: Sales/F9: Purchases (As Invoice)Select F12 Configure.
· Set the above options, as required.
Sales Invoice Configuration
1. Accept Supplementary Details: Set this option to Yes to specify the Despatch Details. If this option is set to No, Print Default Name and Address of Party will be enabled for configuring.
2. Allow separate Buyer and Consignee names: Customers who are into consignment business and would like to have the Consignee details on the Invoice, have to set this option to Yes.
3. Use Common Ledger A/c for Item Allocation: If you would like to allocate all the Items to a single Sales Ledger in the Invoice, you need to set this option to Yes for faster data entry.
4. Use Defaults for Bill Allocations: Setting this option to Yes will allocate Bill Numbers automatically as defined in voucher type master in ascending order.
5. Use Additional Description(s) for Item Name: If you would like to specify any additional description during entry, this option has to be enabled.
6. Consolidate Stock Items with same rates: If you would like to consolidate the stock items having same rates in Invoice/Challans, set this option to Yes.
7. Use Pre-Closure Order Details: To pre-close an order while raising a sales invoice for partial execution, this option needs to be enabled.
8. Exporters Options: This is useful for exporting and importing transactions.
9. Show turnover achieved with Customer: This option will help you see the turnover details during entry.
10. Allow modification of ALL fields during entry: Default order/delivery note entries appearing in the Invoice can be changed during Invoice entry. Set this option to Yes to permit modification of all fields.
11. Warn on Negative Stock Balance: Tally.ERP 9 will display a warning message Negative Stock with quantity details. You can then check which item is having negative stock balance.
12. Honor Expiry Dates usage for Batches: You can restrict or allow the usage of Expired stocks for selection during entry by configuring this option.
13. Show batches with Zero Quantity: On setting this to Yes the batches with zero quantity will be available for selection during entry.
14. Calculate Tax on current Sub-Total: This option should be enabled if the tax needs to be calculated after considering additional Income/Expenses.
Printing a Sales InvoiceTo print any Invoice/voucher, press ALT+P or click on the button Print. You can configure the voucher type to print automatically after saving the voucher for which, the option Print after saving Voucher must be set to Yes.
Note: You can configure the printing options, by selecting the appropriate buttons. You can give additional information, change titles, print additional pages, and change printer settings.
Buttons specific to sales invoice printing options
Button Shortcut Behavior
L Alt + L To Select the language in which the invoice is to be printed
I Alt + I To preview the Invoice
T Alt + T To change the Report Titles
G Alt + G To select the
for printing Page Range
R Alt + R To change the method of printing
F Alt + F To change the print format/mode
C Alt + C To Increase/change the number of copies to print
S Alt + S To change/select the printer
The buttons Pre-Printed and Quick Format toggle between Plain Paper and Neat Format respectively. These are print specifications that you set. Pre-printed is for pre-printed stationery. Quick Format does not give fonts or other niceties but is ideal for fast printing.
The Invoice Printing Configuration appears as shown.
Set the print options as desired. You can configure the invoice as per your requirement. The options depend on the various F11: Features and F12: Configure parameters, that have been set for your company and for the voucher either by you or by the administrator.
The printed Sales Invoice will appear as shown:
Allow Income Accounts in Sales Vouchers
Generally, all the Sales made by the Company are recorded using Sales Voucher. In certain cases, the user would like to record the Income ledgers also in the Sales Voucher, the same is possible by enabling the option Allow Income Accounts in Sales Vouchers in F12 configuration in voucher mode.
For Example: Pass a sales entry towards Professional Income from Customer A.
- Debit Customer A Account
- Credit Professional Income Account grouped under Indirect Income.
1. On enabling Allow Income Accounts in Sales Vouchers the Income ledger will be available for selection in voucher mode for credit in the second line.
2. In invoice mode the income ledger will be available for Accounting allocation and also as additional ledger.
Inventory Allocations & Other features in Purchase / Sales Vouchers
If the Purchase and Sales vouchers are to be considered in financial transactions along with Inventory details, you need to enable the option Inventory Values are affected in Ledger Master.
The inventory details that you give in an accounting voucher (like Sales and Purchase Voucher), affects stocks by immediately updating them, only if Tracking Numbers is not activated in F11: Features.
The information that you need to give in the inventory allocation sub-screen depends on the features enabled for the company.
A typical inventory allocation sub-screen appears as shown.
Name of Item
Select item from the list of items or create a new item by pressing Alt+C
If you have more than one location you must specify the location to which this item is related.
1. Set Maintain Multiple Godowns to Yes in the F11: Inventory Features.
2. Specify the Godown, Quantity, Rate and Amount for the item.
You can have different Godown locations. The default godown available is Main Location.
We have to specify the quantity of stock item which is purchased/sold.
Enable the option Actual and Billed Quantities to Yes from F11:F2 Inventory features. The actual quantity updates stock and the billed quantity affects the accounts. Give the quantity either in the main unit or the alternate unit. You may even specify quantities in both units (i.e., with alternate units), for example 1 dozen = 12 Nos.
Enter the rate for the Stock Item. If you have entered Standard Rate for the item (Standard Cost and Standard Selling Price – see Item Master), the voucher will select the relevant standard rate for that date by default. You can modify it while entering the voucher.
Enter the unit of measure for the quantity of the item here. This can be the main unit or even the alternate unit.
The quantity multiplied by the rate per unit is the amount.
End of List
In all multiple allocations or selections, you have to select the option End of List or press Enter, at the first blank field. This would accept the multiple allocations and take you back to the parent screen. For example, Multiple Locations, Batches or Items.
Batch Wise Details
If you wish to maintain the Inventory in Batches, you need to set the option Maintain Batch-wise Details to Yes in F11:F2: Inventory Features.
If required, you can also set the option Set Expiry Dates for Batches to Yes. Once you do this, you will see the option Maintain in Batches in the Stock Item Creation Screen.
If you set this to Yes, you will find the following in the Item Allocation screen:
· Track Date of Mfg
· Use expiry dates
Select a batch number from the list of existing batch numbers, or create a new number for a new batch.
Mfg Date appears only if it is activated. Enter the date of manufacture. This enables you to set the expiry date for the batch as a period from the date of manufacturing. For example, three months from the date of manufacture.
This field appears, only if it is activated. Enter the date of expiry or a period from the date of manufacture.
F12 Configuration – Other Options
Honor Expiry Dates usage for Batches
If you would like to select the Item having the Batch which is already expired, you have to set this option to No. If you have to restrict selection of expired batches this option is to be set to Yes.
Separate Discount column on Invoices
To account the Trade discounts, you can enable the option Separate Discount column on Invoices in F11:F2 Inventory features which will calculate the discounts automatically during Invoice entry.
Use Common Ledger A/c for Item Allocation
When you start entering the voucher, Tally.ERP prompts you for the Sales Ledger to be allocated. Any number of stock items or account ledgers can be selected one after another to enable faster data entry.
To activate this:
· Set Use Common Ledger A/c for Item Allocation to Yes in F12: Configure on the invoice entry screen.
- Accept the screen to save the voucher.
If you have to allocate different Items to different Sales Ledgers, you have to set the above option to No.
Calculate Tax on Current Sub-total
To enable automatic calculations of taxes and duties on sub totals:
1. Set Calculate Tax on Current Sub-total to Yes in F12: Configure (Sales Invoice Configuration) on the sales invoice screen
2. Accept the screen to save.
Pass a Sales entry as shown:
In the above scenario, the Duty is calculated after deducting Labour charges from the Item value.